APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 2014, New Year Resolute: FORUM NAME CHANGE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 2014, New Year Resolute: FORUM NAME CHANGE
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:25:13 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Forums live or die by their participants. Some change might expand the horizons."

At the risk of yet another analogy, of which their usefulness was put in to question at some point on this forum, I am going to use an analogy, or really, an allegory.

Context is everything.

If there should be one true name and really the raison d'ĂȘtre for this forum, it is, The Death of Final Cut Studio 3.

A bit of a warning, this may get a bit morbid:

The death of FCS3 was similar to a sudden and unexpected death of a close friend. In these situations, you are left wondering why. Why did this happen? What was the root cause, and is there anything that I could have done to change the outcome?

You go to the funeral, and at first, you talk about the deceased. You remember and share in the way the deceased family needs to grieve following any cultural belief systems and frameworks.

Then, as more time passes, and the focus shifts away from the memorial, you get together and talk with people you haven't seen a while, and then the conversations turn to what is happening in each other's lives.

You ask how they've been, what they've been up to, you share stories, anecdotes, catch up, laugh, cry, and enjoy the time that is spent being in the same place with all of these people.

Perhaps you talk with people that you've never met, and come to find you had a mutual friend and you share stories.

But the reason we are there is because of the death of a friend. It is the context of all of these wonderful discussions you've been having. This group of people will never meet under the exact same circumstances again.

So, while we could change the name of the forum, we can't change what happened and we certainly can't change the reason why we are all here.

I enjoy the conversations about theory, art, networking, and all the other topics that come up form time to time. Sure, it is less conversation than what was before, but it's still here. Certainly, a lot of us have moved on and are done grieving.

I also disagree with some of what you said. There have been new avatars and names. New view points and stories, new applications and uses.

Recently, I have also talked about new aspects of FCPX that I find that I don't want to discuss in the Techniques forum even though I like and participate in the Techniques forum. The techniques forum is really starting to become what the Final Cut Pro Legend forum was (and still is), which is a place to find really insightful help and information about using (mostly) one piece of software.

I also think that having a discussion that is removed from the techniques with the smart and dissenting people that are in this forum helps ME to figure out what I want to do, or how I want to submit feedback to Apple about FCPX. And I hope, because I know there are some people paying attention, that some people will submit feedback as well. Right now, it is the only way I know of to make the software better.

I think that if we changed the name of the forum, we change the context, and I think the context of this forum is very important to this forum. We won't be able to recreate these circumstances again.

That being said, I would encourage you to post more insights on theory, post more new points of view. Basically, start more discussions about the subjects you care about and make it more of what you want it to be.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]