APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Refresh refresh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Refresh refresh
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:16:24 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I guess you don't miss anything, Jeremy?"

Certainly.

It mostly has to do with cameras, and I don't even shoot. If there's one thing that has become a bit more complicated in this business, it is cameras and production.

It seems that on every shoot, there's a new camera, a new menu structure, a new color science, which then of course, dictates new workflows.

Then there's lenses. Some are proprietary, some aren't. You need adapters, pass throughs, a whole box full of them, just to core what was once done with one ENG lens, maybe two, if you had more specialized lenses.

Because of this, the post side also has to handle all of these ever changing formats. I miss the days when you could pull a camera with a solid handle out of a bag, put it on a tripod, and turn it on to be ready to shoot in about 30 seconds. But because of this, higher quality gear is more readily available.

FCP7 is already dead. We are shooting with formats that FCP7 can't even see.

I will not miss these old computers. The new Mac machines with PCIe storage are blazing. I finally have had a chance to put my hands on new Mac hardware. I guess I sort of miss the 17" screen, but the 15" form factor and retained 1920x1200 resolution is worth it, as well as waiting for Thunderbolt 2.

I will not miss burning discs, I will not miss waiting for captures, I will not miss dropout, bad tc, and misfired audio. I will certainly not miss EDLs.

I am not scared of Thunderbolt. It will actually help to standardize the entire edit and field workflows which will help us with our work. Perhaps I am too much of an optimist.

Sure, it will cost some money, but that in turn, is what we need to tell our clients.

Jeremy

PS I do miss some of the Jobs' presentations, but at least we have Phil Schiller who's not afraid to cuss in front of thousands of viewers.

(I do not remember an old Apple where there were never any delays, by the way.)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]