APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Palpable disappointment

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Palpable disappointment
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:33:24 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:36:15 am

[Marcus Moore] "So the last thing they want is their US factory coming under fire cause it takes someone a month to get their order fulfilled.

That's my crazy theory."

I think Marcus is on to something here.

But I also think there's more at work here.

I did a good bit of work with my largest corporate client over many years creating informational videos about supply chain management, and I can tell you it's anything but trivial.

We've probably all seen the "new MacPros on the assembly line" video. In order to shoot that, they had to create a very high level assembly factory essentially from scratch here in the US. That assembly facility had to get tuned up for consistent production. Subs and component sourcing had to be not only be found, but delivered to the factory for assembly.

But the factory is just one part of the process. You also need some form of supply chain system that includes not just "build to order" but a back stock and store supply system that includes in warehousing in regional distribution centers and all the truck and rail logistics necessary to distribute the products nationwide.

Apple, with it's retail presence, clearly has the necessary expertise and certainly has all the resources it needs to make this happen, but EVEN with all those advantages, the new system has to be built out and managed.

For instance, they're releasing directly into the last stages of the normal huge holiday distribution surge.

I remember driving into Phoenix from LA one holiday and driving by literally hundreds and hundreds of rail cars sitting still on tracks in the middle of nowhere miles out of Phoenix. One of the retail experts I happened to mention that to, noted that what I had noticed was a part of the distribution supply chain standing by to re-supply the entire metro Phoenix area as our retail industry sold thru it's holiday stocks. Those rail cars had been planned, loaded and rolled into place literally months in advance.

So my presumption is whatever product release date they've decided on, it's been long, long planned and it's sensitive to the fact that they have a brand new product that they have to distribute.

Maybe this is as simple as Apple figuring out that they didn't need to shoehorn their new MacPro distribution into the first or even the second wave of holiday shopping supply - but could just as easily wait for the third or fourth round of holiday supply chain capability?

Just random thoughts. But it will be released when it's released.

And I'm not sure Apple is all that concerned whether they sell MacPros before during, or after the holidays - they have enough desirable consumer goods to be fine in that game.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]