APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX is not used by professionals and only suitable for editing home movies!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX is not used by professionals and only suitable for editing home movies!
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:41:30 pm

[Craig Shamwell] "I would like to know just what kind of Projects you believe are not possible, or should I say "suited" for editing in FCPX?"

You know, they invented something called a paragraph a few centuries ago ;-)

Example 1. Right now, I'm in the process of rebuilding a 24p master from a 29.97i Digibeta with 3:2 pulldown. The master has mixed cadence, so it's not a simple pulldown removal. To do it correctly means slicing & dicing the file using several different corrections, etc. and reconstructing it in-sync. This requires proper pulldown removal tools and tracks. Completely impossible to do in X. Granted, that's a pretty arcane use, but it's what I'm doing right at this moment.

Example 2. Any chromakey that requires custom masking. I can do that in MC, but not in X unless I use third-party plug-ins, all of which are pretty weak for the task.

Example 3. FCP X doesn't handle SD interlaced material very well - especially mixed 480 and 486 content. You can get it right, but it's considerably less functional than FCP7.

Example 4. Any production that requires round-tripping to an outside color correction house using EDLs and trimmed media. You can do it, but it requires round-tripping through other applications in order to relink the media. Main issue - X doesn't allow user-overrides to relink mismatched media.

Example 5. Anything requiring an OMF (yes, you can round-trip through FCP 7, of course).

Example 6. Anything shot on film, requiring info back to a lab or transfer house.

Just off the top of my head.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]