APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX is not used by professionals and only suitable for editing home movies!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Shamwell
Re: FCPX is not used by professionals and only suitable for editing home movies!
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:35:28 pm

"The downside to teaching X for these students is that as yet, they don't get software skills that translate well to employment situations. But that's not the focus of the course."

You know Oliver I did read "ALL" that you wrote...again, and Andy's too! And while you seem awfully offended by what I said, you were not with Andy. And after looking at it again...he pretty much is saying the same thing I am saying. Your Statement above is a prime example! A truly talented individual need only watch....and learn. The need for years and years of technical knowledge to shoot, edit and distribute very good and engaging productions are gone!! In my most respectful of opinions for you to be spending any more than 10 percent of your students time on traditional film-making is cheating them. Understanding having enough "tail" on both ends of a clip for good transitions can be taught on NLE's as effective as traditional. (not that that's all you teach). I know when I cut film, just a few times, I thought to myself, 'not many folks know how to do this!' (I have used Roxio,Vegas Pro,Avid,Premiere,Video Toaster,FCP5/6/7, since. But those limitations are gone, and just the other day I was curiously looking up Video Jobs and there are lots of outfits and organizations looking for X experienced editors. More and More every day, along with Motion Artist. Sure, Oliver you said a couple of good things about X, but almost in every breath you "take it back" with a remark like the one above. Dude look, I have nothing but respect for your wealth of knowledge and the time you have put in,( I ahve know doubt you "know" a lot more than I do Technically) but believe me....the time has changed in that to be a very good editor, will depend on mostly one thing...talent! And that again is where we differ! I hated X like everyone when it came out! But I read first then fell right on the Wagon with everyone else. But once I started with it and updates like using the Tilde Key to move and disconnect connected clips, the Magnetic Time Line, literally has me thinking differently as to how I will build my project. And no other editor has made me think about editing in a more intuitive way. And I think this again may be where some of the "Pro's" are irritated. They believe Apple is forcing there way on them with such a timeline and "no Tracks". Which if anyone knows, is not true. You create Tracks as you build. So you know that I am not some crack Oliver...Have you ever edited on a Video Toaster? Its what "TriCaster" used to be and has, basically a trackless timeline too! You can freely place any media anywhere. I clearly remember saying to myself, 'Why doesn't Premiere do this?'(its what I was using at the time) Many Professionals have never used Toaster now TriCaster Products, but they do everything from live production to streaming to recording to editing and effects. You see my point is, the open or trackless timeline is nothing new! And show me anyone complaining using a TriCaster Product and I'll give you a Dollar!? Not claiming to be an expert in the inner workings of any of said Software, I do have enough knowledge to see that Apple has taken the best of some and improved on much to create a much more engaging experience for Creative Video Creation. I believe like the TriCaster, Apple will make FCPX a complete Capture-Production-Deliverly Software Package. Instead of Software, Sony is doing just that with its new All-In-One "Touch" Production System. I would like to know just what kind of Projects you believe are not possible, or should I say "suited" for editing in FCPX?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]