APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Adobe Security breach- 2.9 million user accounts affected.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mitch Ives
Re: Adobe Security breach- 2.9 million user accounts affected.
on Oct 4, 2013 at 3:59:19 pm

[Walter Soyka] "You may have other reasons for not liking Creative Cloud, but CC won't turn off instantly at a critical moment as you describe above. Per the Creative Cloud FAQ [link], there is currently a 99-day grace period. That's apparently being bumped up to 180 days [link]."

I feel some satisfaction over having played a small part in that... if it is actually true.

I actually had that experience, before CC. I, being a legitimate owner of CS6 had it de-register itself suddenly one day, on the very day we were rushing to meet a deadline. It seems that some "your trial has expired" message popped up. I had no "trial" of CS6... what I had was another in a series of upgrades, on a disc, with a distinct serial number... purchased directly from Adobe (how ironic). Since tech support (India) couldn't fix it, I ended up having to take everything requiring PS, etc. to a friends shop to finish my work. We stayed up all night as a result. Yes, this cost me additional money.

When I contacted Adobe, actually India again, they still couldn't fix it. In the end, they had to use the hidden "challenge question" option, which is the technical equivalent of duct tape and bailing wire. It works, but it can happen again. Any attempt at reinstalling doesn't work because they couldn't straighten out how to properly deactivate the install, allowing a reinstall. Seriously?

I finally circumvented India and got to an American in CA. I raised hell, and explained that while I could appreciate their concerns over piracy, that any seatbelt that ends up strangling the legitimate driver of the car was unacceptable. The CS6 problem still isn't fixed. I made it clear that this experience would prevent me from ever exposing myself to their recently announced CC. My contention was that with a monthly validation requirement, that this problem could be a monthly occurrence in CC. BTW, if you followed the avalanche of posts against CC, you'll see that this issue was raised by thousands of people.

Last week when they called, begging me to use CC (I go back to .8 beta on many Adobe apps, and own a lot of registered copies of their software), I reiterated my story, and my concerns that this problem could be a monthly occurrence in CC. He told me that they were working on that, and that they were considering extending the grace period further. I asked him how that would help? How would I know when it determined that I wasn't valid, so I would know I had a problem? What assurances did he have that it could be fixed quickly... since CS6 still isn't fixed after over a year? I got no assurances... only statements like the one you're espousing Walter.

If you're happy with blanket statements, without any proof or assurances, run with with it. I wish you all the success in the world, and truly hope you are right. I'd like to be wrong this time. Still, why is it that I have a sinking feeling... oh, that's the voice of experience I hear in my head...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]