APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Interesting presentation....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Interesting presentation....
on Sep 15, 2013 at 8:57:12 pm

[Bill Davis] "And explains his reasoning about WHY fundamental industry changes require some new thinkin - including the painful jettisoning of much comfortable thinking that worked just fine in the past."

But - does he actually do that Bill? I know he said that there was an issue with people unable to accept change, but then he just showed a camera loads of people have heard of, 4k transport in stuff, the movi, bits of his music video, and FCPX. They are all good things. How does that amount to a thesis?

And where did he outline these failures in attitude? what was he talking about there? Not using the c500? not hiring the movi? because everyone I know is planning on hiring that thing the instant it is available. So say I cut and did post on this music vid (trust me there is a point, and that point is that I wanted to show off the video):

everyone go buy Goldheart Assembly's new album btw. Its great.

Do you think the director, who was also the shooter, would not have used the movi if it was available? He literally screamed the minute I showed him the movi video when it came out, and then started manically texting all his mates. At 15,000 purchase, day hire is going to be buttons on that thing.

Me and him put that video together for no money, it was entirely file based, and all the optics used were off neumann films that cost me 30 quid.

Anyone working right now, is using every single tool available that they can get their hands that they can afford. that video could afford one day borrowed greenscreen, some front projection, (which is murder to greenscreen, thank you keylight) his 5Dmk2, london snow, and me throwing jam at it for three days. Still, I did get to drop it off at abbey road for conforming. I took photos. I really did. And.. we failed the harding test.
the point is that there is less money than ever, none for music vids usually, and no one is ignorant of a single thing that can give them any edge.
4K proof of concept music videos with massive crews and ipad set review of footage are uncommon.

Its basically a bit much on his part to state that people don't get the current environment because they don't use a specific camera, or a specific editing system. It's hard to see how his argument amounted to more than that.

[Bill Davis] "IMO is that FCP-X was built for robust pre-pro and asset management FIRST - with practical modern editing a close second. And that's exactly what's got so many "editors" upset. Apple didn't properly do their obeisance to the alter of the timeline functions over all else."

ok - that is completely and in-arguably correct - and to be honest, I have serious, deep, increasing pangs for X's system of tagging. I think a lot of people are starting to stare at that tagging metadata system. It'll be really really interesting to see what the next release of X looks like. Particularly after the adobe crazy.

bottom line, I found the piece OTT - loads of us will wring anything we can out of the gear at hand. Editing software preference doesn't represent a luddite lemming instinct.

A lot of X is completely killer, (you should really check out some of premiere lately tho Bill, its getting so good incredibly fast - *turns and sheds a single tear*)
X is going to be, and is a completely successful editing system - it deserves to be, but not picking it doesn't amount to fear of the future brain damage eh? :)

in closing - if everyone could go to the creative cloud debate forum and gin up the posts about why X is going to eat premiere for breakfast because of the subscription carry on - that would be great. Bill just popped in a beauty, but the more the merrier.

http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]