APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:38:50 pm

[Bill Davis] "Apple won't be able to leverage that lead into finishing and distribution? Apple? Really?"

First of all Bill I wasn't commenting on X, I was commenting on the article. Someone was offering it as an answer to the question "should I or shouldn't I" and I merely pointed out that the article only covered ingest, hardly the only thing to consider when choosing an NLE. As opposed to that article, there have been many well written posts right here at the cow that covered the question more completely. You might have even written some of them.

As for the rest of your post - many X users often point to a workflow in which they use Legacy to handle various export limitations that X currently has. How is that different than an Avid user devising a workflow starting with X ingest?

X as an ingest tool does not necessarily lead to X as the main editing tool - especially not on features where the division of labor is quite specific.

As for Apple leveraging that situation into something more significant, you have spent the past 2 years claiming that feature film and broadcast editing is a tiny niche and one that is rapidly dying out. Why on earth would Apple care what happens in a market that you have been so deliriously happy they have left behind.

If Apple cared about holding onto that market, one would have thought they would have handled the release differently.

[Bill Davis] "Apple is building a new box perfect for it. And if that box is at all affordable, they can transform yet another industry. "

If by affordable you mean Apple is practically giving them away, then yeah, that would be something.

But assuming that they are not willing to loose money on each sale, then there is nothing about either the Tube or X that is or will transform anything. Both might succeed in their markets, but nothing about them enables users to do anything they can't already do.This is not 12 years ago when FCP plus DV allowed editors to lower their cost of entry almost tenfold. The cost savings on ingest mentioned in that article, even if accurate, are a drop in the bucket when considered next to the complete post budget of even a small feature. There is at this time no proof of any other cost saving to using X in this market.

Transformative - you'd have to explain that one to me. Unless you think one click posting to Vimeo is transformative. In that they seem to have the market sown up.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]