APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?
on Sep 12, 2013 at 1:54:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "But you offer no reasoned refutation."

Was waiting for you to ask.

[Craig Seeman] "I doubt you'll see much in the way of Mac GPU cards for example."

So what. The market for Windows graphics cards must be at least 4 times the size of the Mac market, if model types are any indicator.

[Craig Seeman] "Given Apple's penetration into the Post market, it seriously cuts into margins for many developers of cards. "

The Post markets impact on graphics card development I would imagine to be quite small, if not totally insignificant. Gamers push the market, CAD pushes the market, 3D modelling, most of which is not done on Macs, push the market.

[Craig Seeman] "Any card that doesn't need 8x or 16x will probably have Thunderbolt versions."

But GFX cards do require 8x and 16x. And Thunderbolts impact even on 4x and below is felt only on the Mac side of things. Thunderbolt is not exactly wowing them in PC land. The HP announcement being a good example - a PCIe card (those things that are not supposed to be developed any more) for a Tblt port, which leaves what, another 5 PCIe slots, or is it 7, to develop for.

[Craig Seeman] "One can look at companies like AJA and Blackmagic and see expansion of Thunderbolt devices."

Yes, new markets lead to new products. That doesn't mean the old markets have gone away.

[Craig Seeman] "The demand on the Windows side isn't going to change much"

Stop right there. How does that reconcile with your earlier statment:

[Craig Seeman]"There's not likely going to be much R&D on the PCIe card side of things from hardware developers as they continue the shift to Thunderbolt."

When the windows side of things is the majority of the PCIe market?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]