APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Final Cut Pro user... considering FCP X... do I upgrade?
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:40:25 am

Depending on your situation and where the market goes you may find some things to consider.

If you have other new Macs (MacBookPros etc) you'll find you'll need to buy Thunderbolt stuff for them and PCIe cards for the MacPro. You won't have as much device interoperability.

There's not likely going to be much R&D on the PCIe card side of things from hardware developers as they continue the shift to Thunderbolt.

The retiring MacPro are already using CPU technology from 2010 so they're already quite old. Some have found that for many tasks a new BTO iMac is competitive with some MacPros and even may exceed it in some cases. If you buy Thunderbolt peripherals for the iMac you'd be able to move them to a new MacPro later, something that would require purchasing a PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis otherwise.

Granted there are a few people who, for various reasons, the 2010/12 MacPro 12 Core is a reasonable choice as a powerful short term box but I don't think that holds true for a lot of people.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]