APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: mini-SAS on Thunderbolt?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Murphy
Re: mini-SAS on Thunderbolt?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:06:29 pm

certainly it wouldn't hurt to have something better than e-SATA

For what it's worth G-Speed Q is a particular instance of eSATA that uses the SATA Rev 2.0 spec, or 3Gbps. When considering the G-Technology unit that uses mini-SAS, its ExpressSAS R680 card is 6Gbps SAS. So it's a different interface, command set, and bandwidth. I haven't benchmarked the workloads you're talking about to see if there's a meaningful difference between SATA 6Gbps, and SAS 6Gbps, so I have to defer to others. But if SATA, for sure specify at least nearline if not enterprise drives. It's not worth the hassle factor with consumer drives and incorrect (and usually unconfigurable) error recovery settings that inhibit proper raid5 bad block repair.

Check the R680 card if it has a scrub option. In my opinion, scrubs are mandatory functionality. My own personal bias is to disqualify a product that doesn't offer it. I might even go so far as to disqualify on the basis of being unable to have regularly scheduled scrubs, with an email in case of mismatches occurring. I'd seriously rather go with a simpler solution like raid10, or even two independent raid0's and a daily rsync from one to the other than mess around with junk raid5 that doesn't have a proper scrubbing function. "Wow cool, I have raid5 but no scrubs," is buying into fail safe that has a decent chance of fail danger rather than fail safe. Why bother? You shouldn't have to wonder whether a raid5 rebuild is actually going to succeed.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]