APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: mini-SAS on Thunderbolt?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brad Bussé
Re: mini-SAS on Thunderbolt?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 6:34:52 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. Although I'd love to utilize something more modern and robust than HFS+, I'm sticking with that for the time being.

My workflow is primarily ProResHQ 1080 60p with ProRes4444 for alpha. I've actually worked off of one of the 4 drive GTech units in RAID-5 connected via e-SATA. At the time I was mainly ProResHQ 1080 24p and it worked okay, but certainly it wouldn't hurt to have something better than e-SATA. I don't have to have tons more space than the 6 TB available after formatting - I suppose that could be one year out from now, so perhaps this ultimately will be a stop gap measure, but I just want to make sure that I'm not stuck with an interface that will be too limiting. For this reason and to keep costs down, I was looking at starting with a G-Tech unit utilizing mini-SAS. That way I'm not worried about bumping up against the limitations of eSATA now, and I have the option of trying to add it as a TB-PCIe expansion to a new Mac Pro down the line without being forced to upgrade the array right off the bat to a larger TB native array.

Regarding USB3, is anyone using this for connecting an external RAID array for video work? Did they address the latency issues with USB in the upgrade to USB3? That might be an option since the new Mac Pro will have USB3 conections and they can easily and cheaply be added to the current Mac Pros via a PCIe card.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]