APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:50:21 pm

[Jacob Brown] "However I found that thinking about things Vertically -- what is happening vertically in that slice of time -- was the shift that made it click and made it powerful."

Yes.

Vertically is a great way to think of it, but X has awesome horizontal controls as well, and they work completely differently than what a track based timeline.

X is about knowing what part of the timeline you want to move, and how to achieve it.

Tracked timelines usually have you bring everything with or have you do a bunch of clicks to lock or select exactly what it is, and what isn't moving. Parts of your timeline are locked together even if you don't want them to be as it is the nature of tracks to simultaneously separate groups of objects that you may or may not want together.

X has all of this, too, it just works differently and most of the time, the relationships are defined in a different way than tracks (horizontal) and time (vertical). Secondary storylines are tracks, they just don't extend from frame zero to frame end. This is a big difference. Once you learn that you are working (vertically) on sections of the video you start to understand how X works up and down, left and right. Once you understand how the timeline moves, you start to understand how powerful (and fast) it can be.

Connected clips are also something to get used to. Before the tilde key upgrade, moving things around in X took more steps, but now, the tilde key makes things much easier and more fluid.

My first real world dialog project was an absolute joy to cut in X. I was able to move so fast, and try more options than I could in any other program, especially with the help of Auditions. Essentially, it helped me to view more options in a shorter amount of time, but also store all of those options with minimal fuss, all in the timeline. It helps me be more creative. Go figure.

But, as has been said, if it's not working for you, CS6 is your option if you don't want the Creative Cloud.

FCP7 still works, too.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]