APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:55:52 pm

[Bret Williams] "I think X is arguably like that. We all became experts after 5-10 years of using a certain NLE methodology. Legacy, Premiere and Avid were just different brands of skis. X is a snowboard. You've got to enjoy tackling something new and ride the bunny slope a little bit. And when the little kids are in the half pipe while you're still falling off the chair lift try not to scream "I'd kick your ass on skis!""

I don't buy the old dog can't learn new tricks analogy. Sure, it fits here and there but many people have made the transition from film and/or linear editing to NLE editing so obviously they have proven they can roll with the punches. Sometimes personal preference is just personal preference.

Not to ruin the analogy, but speaking as someone that's been a fairly regular snowboarder for the 7 or 8 years, it can be very limiting compared to skiing. Woods? Easier on skis. Moguls? Few people even attempt them on a board. On/off chair lifts? Much easier on skis. Long flats/cat tracks? Much easier on skis. I've never skied but I board with a lot of skiers and skiing is overall a much more flexible and functional way to navigate a mountain (even if the initial learning curve might be higher). I mean, I don't think you'll ever see mountain rescue professionals using snowboards instead of skis. With that being said I really enjoy snowboarding and don't plan on picking up skiing. Not because I'm afraid of starting out at the bottom again, but because I enjoy boarding and it better suits what I want to get out of a mountain.

As an aside, boarding blew up in popularity in part as a rebellious 'anti-skiing' youth movement where skiing was seen as being for old, rich people. In the past 10-15yrs though there has been a counter movement as boarding became mainstream and a new revolution started in skiing called freeskiing or newschool skiing (which takes many of the trick/grinding aspects of boarding and combines it with skiing). Skiing is certainly bouncing back (especially with youth) from the snowboard onslaught.

I'm not a snow junkie but I did work on a skiing doc a few years ago.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]