APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: CC-CS6-X render comparisons

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ronny Courtens
Re: CC-CS6-X render comparisons
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:11:28 pm

My own tests with the software have Premiere (CS5.5 and CC) handling my tasks in literally 1/2 the length of the clip. For FCPX? Twice the length of the clip. The main difference between my tests and yours: I'm not starting with, nor transcoding to/from ProRes. I'm starting with AVCHD and ending with h.264 MP4.

Nope. We have had this discussion on another forum. The most important difference is that you did your tests using an upclocked nVidia GTX570 GPU that is great for CUDA but lousy for OpenCL. So it's quite normal that PPro performs better than FCPX on your system. As another poster pointed out you are also running FCPX on a fast but older MacPro:

"Aside the OpenCL GPU FCP X is much faster on Ivy or Sandy Bridge processors since the code makes good use of the AVX on those processors. Older Mac Pros just don't cut it (no matter how many cores) like the new iMacs and MBPs. I've noticed this especially with H.264 material."

So with all due respect you are comparing apples with lemons. Oliver has done his tests using different cards, both for CUDA and OpenCL. That's why I think his comparison tests are reliable. As I have explained we have worked with native XDCAM HD 422 footage at the Olympics using FCPX on several new MBPs and we got faster than realtime exports. So this has little to do with ProRes or native footage.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]