APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: CC-CS6-X render comparisons

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Erik Lindahl
Re: CC-CS6-X render comparisons
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:58:47 pm

When doing OpenCL work on the GPU the system can run into extreme responsiveness issues. What a next gen MacPro could do an iMac could not is dedicate X cores + 1 GPU for background rendering and leave the rest for the users front-end. As soon as user interaction stops it will use all 12 cores and 2 GPU's for rendering.

The above wouldn't be possible on todays systems with out severely sacrificing user-interaction performance. The new MacPro virtually has about 2-3 iMac's of CPU power and probably 4-6 of it's GPU's. This opens up a lot of possibilities.

So, background rendering with out affecting "normal" working conditions would be a huge selling point for many I would imagine. If Apple goes that route. They have stated dual GPU as standard and even lower end FirePro GPU's will provide quite a lot of horse-power.

There's also been talk of what i/o the MacPro will have. We know there will be six Thunderbolt 2 ports and one HDMI-port but we don't know exactly what all these ports will support. Will the HDMI-port be able to work as a real video-out port at up to 4K and is that HDMI-port going directly off the GPU, i.e. no more monitoring lag? This could for example lessen the need for a dedicated i/o box over Thunderbolt - again a selling point for quite a few.

Summary: The above would be unique MacPro features unless Apple opens up GPU-support for Thunderbolt chassis. That said, the above would probably work relatively good in a current-gen MacPro given you have high-end GPU's. The next-gen will boot a lot of VRAM which helps for GPU-processing work (Adobe requires a minimum of 1GB for example).

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]