APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Because it's being built into FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Because it's being built into FCPX?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 5:38:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I know what you're saying, but why, then, under Red is it not Cyan on the Color Board as it is in the Dale G app?"

Simply a different way of saying the same thing. In X you are adding or taking away RGB intensity. Obviously the ProApps developers thought this made more sense to novices. You are adding or subtracting a certain color. I guess they felt that after a decade of color wheels, the accepted theory didn't make sense to new users.

In Grahn's app you are doing the same, but it is expressed as RGB (+ value) and CMY (- value) because you are shifting the result in the direction of more of one and less of the other. This is an outgrowth of printer lights, which BTW, can also be found in the dearly departed Color.

[Jeremy Garchow] "And why can I add Cyan and minus Red?"

Because that's how complementary colors work.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Pretend you know nothing of color theory, would you be able to surmise that adding cyan is minus red as you would from a color wheel, or the Dale G app?"

I have no idea what point you are making. Part of the idea behind Grahn's app is to help folks understand color theory. Remember this is an iPad app designed as a teaching tool.

The fact that he uses slightly different terminology than X, doesn't change the fact that both operate in more or less the same way.

And FWIW, there are a lot of high-end colorists who never use color wheels. It's my understanding the the folks at E-Film use a modified version of Lustre that's strictly driven by keyboard commands. The original DaVinci panel (later dubbed DaVinci Classic) only used soft keys and rotary knobs.

Also, if you look at the wheels in Moods, the control is totally different than any other approach to color wheels.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]