APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX Magnetic Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: FCPX Magnetic Timeline
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:51:37 pm

that is a classy response -

my two cent - the position tool is not an annulment of the magnetic timeline. FCPX can have no gaps - you can hold a modifier and - horror of horrors - allow a clip to traverse the timeline and impact on other clips - this is not clip behaviour - the magnetic timeline is permanent.

moronically, if you move a clip using the position tool, the gap will not be allowed to exist - a slug will appear. That is stupid. if I need to perceive what is going to, or should happen in a space, i cannot simply slide the next three or four clips down the track, leave a breather, and begin to place clips into the black, trying to consider in my mind the number and type of shots I feel should be there.

Personally I find this the most galling point, more so than the immediate attachment of V2 clips to V1 - Randy, the overweening idiot, has chosen to remove the space for me to calmly place and slide my clips around in the as yet unexpressed parts of my edit - particularly in short form, in emotive pieces where what happens over two seconds of a vo punch and a music crescendo, where what happens there is critical and I don't yet know what it is, to have clips re-arrange, or when temporarily halted by the position tool, to have moronic slugs appear for no reason, angers me on a fundamental level and I will tell you why - in those moments, I am not an adherent to FCP, I believe that that stuff, the stuff that space is allowing me, is the basis of editing.
Apple, in their engorged moronic hubris chose to screw with the most basic conceptual precepts of editing. We cant even see the clip and the target at the same time.

As walter murch (may buddha shine on his soul) pretty brilliantly outlines, editing is kind of in us. It's in the way we blink, when we pan and perceive a room, it was in us, before there were tools to synthesise it. The tools created to this point have been fairly sensitive to basic requirements.

That apple would see fit to screw with our basic creative pathways, that they would merrily lobotomise the tools we reach for when trying to express an edit, simply in order to make a fast buck from a 720p iphone user, is annoying in the order of loud blackboard scraping mindbogglingly annoying.

http://bit.ly/ivsrTr

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]