APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: L.A. Freelancers, Learning FCP X might be a good idea...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: L.A. Freelancers, Learning FCP X might be a good idea...
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:30:29 am

[Neil Goodman] "Ive done one job on it already. Did i hate it? No.. did i love it, no. Was i able to finish, Yes. Did i get paid Yes. "

Well wow. I'm impressed. You've done ONE job on it. Congrats. I'm sure you went really deep and plumbed everything from a great keywording strategy in the Event Browser to sussing out how to share out of X directly into a 10 station mixed network buy without sticking your client with an unnecessary bill for DGFastchannel.

I've also done projects in X. About fifty to sixty to date. And oddly, I've also gotten paid for all of them. And just as oddly, I'm still learning more and more about how to operate the software efficiently after 18 months and all those gigs.

Strangly, I was recently offered a modest gig proctoring an FCP-X L1 3-day training and certification test taking place in a couple of weeks and in flipping through the course syllabus, I've seen more than a dozen areas where X has capabilities that I haven't even really investigated very closely yet because they simply aren't areas where I regularly do work.

Oh, and how old am I?

Old enough to know that there's always more to learn - and decades past the point where I was so arrogant as to think that I can be as good as I want to be at anything - until I put in the time and effort necessary to do my best to learn it really, really well.

My standard is simple. If I have to think about the software to operate it, I'm not good enough at it yet. I need to get to the point where the work I'm doing is the only thing I'm concentrating on - not the operation of the tool I'm using to do the work.

If you can get to that point after ONE project, more power to you. You're clearly a hugely better editor than I am.

Heck, maybe you're truly the Mozart of NLE editing and you've "grokked" the software at a level beyond all the rest of us after doing a single FCP-X project?

Wouldn't that be something?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]