APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Avid Media Composer 7 out - anyone excited?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Harlan
Re: Avid Media Composer 7 out - anyone excited?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:08:38 am

Hey Chris!

I think where most people who come from FCP get caught up on modes is while trimming. In FCP, many folk tend to trim on the timeline via mouse, almost never opening up FCP's trim window. Used this way, FCP does not distinguish between modes, ala trim and source/record. With this approach, people tend to blob things onto the timeline and then sculpt with trimming, and the context-sensative cursor is probably the best around. It becomes a seamless work area.

In a similar vein, I've seen a lot of people come from Avid to work on FCP, who add a lot of needless steps, like generating black/slug everywhere, or complain about FCP's substantially inferior trimming powers when they actually don't understand some of the more effective ways to trim. I do believe, btw, that MC offers much better trimming capabilities, just not "substantially" better. And that's the thing about FCP Legacy; it mimicked so many different NLEs that you could work with in the style you were accustomed to, without understanding that it represented a single approach. It was part Avid, Montage, D/Vision, Speed Razor, and could be operated from any of those disparate angles.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]