APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Avid Media Composer 7 out - anyone excited?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Avid Media Composer 7 out - anyone excited?
on Jun 27, 2013 at 8:50:48 pm

I have my own love-hate feelings about any given NLE. While MC7 is far from revolutionary or innovative in today's post world, it does address many of the day-to-day needs editors have on real projects today. Like dealing with large-frame video for HD output. Sure, 4K output has some buzz, but it simply isn't a reality with most paying gigs. If you are talking about features, they are using advanced tools anyway, not desktop NLEs.

I started nonlinear with Avid in the early 90s, moved to FCP at 1.25 and have lived in a mixed-NLE world ever since. I find MC a bit clunky today compared to FCP "legacy" and I haven't completely warmed to X. Nevertheless, I have yet to find any other NLE that will stand up to the editorial punishment I can put MC through. Just this past week, I've been working a corporate gig that involved a show open. Flying photos over a background. The comp was 15 layers of DNxHD, largely running in real-time (yellow-green mode), which made it very easy to do the creative edit. You can't do that in After Effects and any other NLE would choke in my experience.

So I'm not sure MC will ever be something people will get excited about except those who regularly use it. Sure it's clunky at times. Modes - as fast as switching them is - are not to everyone's liking. Nevertheless, it's the reliable beast that lets you get work out the door.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]