APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Does "FCPX or Not" really boil down to "AE or Not?"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Jacek
Does "FCPX or Not" really boil down to "AE or Not?"
on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:15:18 am

Having followed this forum on-and-off for 2 years, I've noticed a few trends among the "Not" crowd, which I consider myself part of (i.e. I don't like FCPX, and have even started migrating to Windows after 25 years on Macs). For example: People who still use tape don't like FCPX. People who work in big post-houses don't like FCPX. People who cut news often DO like FCPX. And so forth... Please don't make a big stink if your individual situation contradicts the above generalities. I really only mention them as examples. What I really want to know about is how much you use After Effects. I'm a big fan of AE. I've used it nearly 20 years, and consider myself a "power user." I'll probably (reluctantly) join CC because of it.

What I want to know is the following:

1. Do you use much AE? and
2. Do you use/like FCPX?
EXTRA CREDIT: If you answer "yes" to both, what is your workflow?

For me, a real dealbreaker was the difficulty bringing my full edit into AE, while maintaining control over individual clips/layers. Automatic Duck wasn't perfect, but it was good, especially near the end. Dynamic Link with Premiere is pretty good, despite its quirks. Though I must admit that I haven't checked in a while, I don't remember there being any comparable workflow from FCPX to AE.

If this is indeed the case, then I wanted to test my hypothesis: Heavy AE users are in the camp of "Not" regarding FCPX, and most of the FCPX supporters don't extensively use After Effects. So let me know what you think.

And remember, this is for posterity, so be honest.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]