APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: About the new Mac Pro-X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jamie Franklin
Re: About the new Mac Pro-X
on Jun 12, 2013 at 10:10:39 pm

[Michael Hadley] "no reason to change.....(And those who use Davinci Resolve—at least according to Blackmagic's CEO, who has had a chance to fully evaluate it)."

This to me is the most puzzling...we're working off 5 year old tech on 2 year old rigs with another 6-8 months away from the "refresh" that can't exactly integrate...

Davinci...? Who is this for? The basement pro who has a 6k Sony trimaster el? Maybe one fell off a truck? Once he shells out probably 5k for the tube, another 600 for the rocket chassis? I guess everything will be handed off to him via thunderbolt drive filled with trims that his client has to pay for? Or will he? Maybe a drobo...another 750$? Tipping over 12k now...

Is the facility going to integrate this tube for Davinci without cuda's...? Are they going to have to buy chassis' for fibre, rockets, output 16 tracks of audio? What chassis do I need for that? aja's, decklinks? $$$$$...more power captain! Perhaps all they need is a thunderbolt chassis to fit the cards. Not a bad idea...ok, there's an argument for a facility. But there are many questions remaining until it's released. Moving on.

When all is said and done, why would anyone upgrade or buy this for professional grading as a stand alone?? Is this really for stand alone projects which seems like massive overkill and hugely expensive to chassis...Stand alones are in HD...R3D? Trim>Set HDR>Render DPX>realtime playback on an imac.

Is this for a shared environment? You know, tv series, films, broadcast, which seems hugely expensive to chassis when a 5.1 will more than do and can expand on a whim at a fraction of the cost.

Is it for 4k? Time to move to HP at that point...8k isn't far behind...

I sincerely want to know who this is for? That an Imac can't accomplish for the average FCX user, or the HD Davinci stand alone user...

I think we all know who this is really for and going to benefit, comping and animating. I think people are drooling over something they want, not what they need, in the FCX verse.

I like the specs. I want the thing too. But it's shiny and pretty and lonely and will kick butt...but for twice the price of what is needed.

I think there are a lot of diminishing returns to consider on this thing if it costs over 5-6k for FCX or Davinci. To start.

If this is 1500, loaded$ I'll eat this post. With Tabasco.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]