APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Upgradable GPUs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Upgradable GPUs
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:46:55 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Most encoding/rendering tasks are getting so fast on current hardware that the idea of clustering a bunch of large, power-hungry old machines isn't going to be that appealing in many cases."

Looking forward to using 4K HEVC source files and/or having to encode to that as well. The resources may be much heavier for decode/encode. One might say we're a couple of years away from that... but that's my point. Two years from now.. while the beast won't be puny but there may be GPU assisted decode and encoding may be much more demanding.

Hence the concern about the state of GPUs in two years and, sans upgrading the machine, clustering for faster encoding.

[Chris Kenny] "In many ways just planning on a regular two year upgrade cycle helps with this problem, I think. I tried to play the purchase timing game with my last MacBook Pro, a 2007 model, and ended up keeping it for five years, first holding out for Thunderbolt to show up, then holding out for Retina displays to show up."

Three year cycle for me. 2008 MBP for a 2011 MBP but 2008 is still in service. 2008 MacPro with nothing to move it to in 2011 so GPU upgrade. Of course in 2012 rMBP with USB3 and 2 TB ports came out (more important to me the Retina). While there's not much one can do with laptops, my concern is that significant tech changes can happen at unpredictably fast speeds. Yes, it's harder to find a "right" time which, for me, means it sometimes better to extend the life of a machine and hold out another year. Again, it's just a different way of looking at things.

Some people are going to feel "sandwiched" when they want to hold out one more year for something they know is coming, know they need, with no "interim" expansion to improve their current box.... err cylinder, to extend it one more year with a modicum of improvement.

[Chris Kenny] "And, of course, if it really comes to it, you can always resell and buy a new machine after a year "

Yes, I'll have to start thinking that way. I don't look forward to it though.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]