APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Upgradable GPUs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Upgradable GPUs
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:20:59 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Upgradability, at this level, is merely a price calculation."

I suspect my thinking comes from how a move through machines. I tend not to sell them but, rather, move them to less demanding tasks. Additionally, going forward, I'm thinking of clustering older machines for encoding. If I had to replace more frequently then, yes, I'd probably have to sell but it does require a rethink for me.

The problem arises in timing relative to technology changes. For example in late 2016 if Apple is a year away from 100Gb TBolt I'd tend to want to hold out the year rather than purchase a new machine "too early." It would seem to make more sense (if it were possible) to spend the theoretical $800 for one more year than buy a new MacPro which I know will be behind where I want to be the following year.

With Apple particularly, the tech changes are often "jumps" punctuated by speed bumps. The trick is timing the purchase with the jump.

Another example, once I knew TBolt was coming there'd be no reason for me to purchase anything until it arrived.

Basically GPU upgrades are the kind of think that allows you to improve performance enough if you feel you need to hold off another year because you know a significant hardware change is under development.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]