APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: WSJ: Avid Technology to Restate Results Amid Ongoing Review

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: WSJ: Avid Technology to Restate Results Amid Ongoing Review
on May 23, 2013 at 10:26:59 pm

[Bill Davis] "I wonder if they were some of the same accountants who "lined up to testify" about how appropriate it was before the whole US economy almost crashed for the credit reporting agencies and home mortgage lenders to be fed out of the same pie?"

I generally don't like knee-jerk reaction legislation, as SOX was to the Enron scandal. Even when the ideas are good, a hasty implementation leads to confusion at best and poor unintended consequences at worst.

[Bill Davis] "But history has also show us that it's extremely easy to sacrifice long term viability in any business in the search for short term profits. The big question here is whether Adobe's "rent only" strategy - over the long haul - will prove to be the smart play for locking in user revenue streams - or whether faced with the changing models of software consumption (which I think of as the "Costco model" where you try to satisfy customers by offering products that generally place at 60-80% up the quality curve, but at at 40-50% of the way up the price curve) as being something that will increasingly work in software as well."

Lots of cheap products piggy-back on the more expensive products, which bear the brunt of the costs associated with R&D and creating the market. Put another way, where would Pixelmator be without Photoshop before it?

That's not to say that cheap software can't be innovative -- far from it, and they also have the "advantage of backwardness" of no existing user base at risk that could get scared off by a big change -- but I'd hate to be in an industry where large developers couldn't afford to play.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]