APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brett Sherman
Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?
on May 11, 2013 at 2:47:29 pm

It seems to me there are two arguments going on here.

One, is it okay to use software you have never purchased. I would say no, for paying work. Yes, if it's a training exercise. Frankly, the 30 day window just doesn't work for me. I end up using it for a couple hours, then get busy. The next time I sit down with the software, the 30 day window has expired. Now, FCP X was cheap enough I didn't sweat purchasing it. And the one advantage of the CC is you're not in for $2000 by the time you've really run it through its paces.

Two, is it okay to use a pirated copy or break the EULA when the software developer requires you to jump through onerous hoops to use their software. In this case I would say, yes.

There is no equivalent for the EULA for consumers. Essentially, consumers really have no way to demand rights. I think the notion of tying the licensing to a particular computer is wrong. You bought the software, the computer did not. You should be able to use it no matter where you are. You should be able to verify use on any computer with a simple log-in, so long as two (or other number) are not being used concurrently. If their server fails to respond it lets you open the program.

Do I like the CC licensing? Not really. But, I don't think it would prevent me from going with Premiere if I chose to. I chose not to for other reasons. I do like Apple's licensing much better. It offers me enough flexibility and 5 copies I can work with.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]