APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: New Adobe Creative Cloud Debate Forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: New Adobe Creative Cloud Debate Forum
on May 9, 2013 at 5:50:53 pm

Here's why I'm inclined to keep the Debate forums separate:

1) They're different debates.

The one there is basically, "Q: Why are you changing licensing? A: We think it's best for you and us. Q: Nuh-uh. A: Yuh-huh." Not meaning to make judgments or be overly reductive, but there's a short half-life for that kind of thing.

Here, from the beginning, it was for all the marbles. Workflows, careers, self-identity, and blowing up the entire industry to start over.

Unless it wasn't. But that's where the debate began, and very quickly expanded to take in, well, as Steve's sig says, everything.

This one's about everything. That one's about one thing.

2) They're different communities.

How many of you post regularly in the Premiere and AE forums? If not, there's my point. If so, then you know what I'm about to say, which is that many of the people in those forums have online and even in-person relationships that go back years, and they may never have set foot in THIS forum once.

Turns out that some people hadn't been using FCP at any point in the proceedings, and still don't much care one way or the other.

Likewise, plenty of FCP folks don't use AE enough to frequent those forums, and feel like they're finding what they need about Premiere Pro right here.

They're not just forums. They're communities of their own.

3) I try to manage as little as possible.

Both because I'm a lazy bastard and because it works.

When I started at the COW, there were many topic-specific boards with lots and lots of sub-boards, and some of these guys had more traffic than the entire COW on their own. Now, some of them are simply gone, and none of them has a tenth our traffic. Maybe combine them. What we're doing by is mostly working. We only create new subforums slowly, when it seems to us that most of you think it's necessary.

Related to both this point and #2, I've moved the conversations as little distance as I possibly could. FCPX or not debate stuff? Goes in the FCPX-originated forum right next door. Creative Cloud debate stuff? Goes right next to the Premiere and AE forums.

We anticipate overlap, but in the long run, that's preferable to overmanagement. I can imagine a day when they might be better combined too, but so far, in trying to respect the organic evolution of each forum and the communities of specific people they represent, it's making sense to me to keep them as two different discussions.

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to email me directly, too. But that's what I'm thinkin'.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]