APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Clint Wardlow
Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?
on May 9, 2013 at 5:00:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't know why religion/religious text was even brought in to this conversation."

The reason it was brought in was because of the black and white way it was labled as theft, when the implications are much greyer. We can talk in moral certainties all we want.

However, the friend who had given me the discs had bought them. He considered those discs he had purchased as his. As far as he was concerned (and I am not saying he was right), terms of service agreements were just legal petty fogging -- mind you this was over a decade ago and thinking has shifted a lot since those times. He had paid good money for those discs and as far as he was concerned if he wanted to give copies to a friend, it was his right.

Now, I didn't even really consider the morality of it all. I just thought, "cool here is some software I can't afford right now to play with." So maybe it was a theft. I'm not sure. Neither he or I financially benefited from it. The ones who benefited were the software makers, because I purchased copies as soon as I could afford. I am not saying what I did was morally justified. I am just saying it was a common practice (and I suspect it still is)and asking, questions of lofty morality aside, how harmful a practice it really is. I think the only difference between me and many others (including many on this board) is I just fessed up to it.

Intellectual property is a tricky thing. If you make a mix cd of your favorite music and give it to your girl friend, does that make you and her a thief? You are definitely not authorized to do so. Are you robbing the artist of royalties due them.

It is not so black and white. I am not saying what I did was right or wrong. It was just a pretty common practice back then. Are all those folks who made tapes or CDs from albums thieves? Or those that taped movies off of HBO? If so, there are a lot of thieves in this ole world.

It is easy to pass moral judgement. And feel free to do so.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]