APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dominic Deacon
Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?
on May 8, 2013 at 10:56:26 pm

I do the occassional large editing job now and then. I'm not a day in day out editor with a constant stream of income like a lot of you.

I started off with a pirated copy of FCP 5 (I think) which allowed me to edit my first feautre. It was a hobby job with no money coming in and very little going out. Shortly after I got a big commercial job and thought I'd spend $1500 of it investing in FCS3. That was a significant outlay for me but I thought I was investing in tools that would see me through years of work with regular updates/bug fixes/etc. Imagine my joy when a few months later Apple discounted the very expensive software I had just invested in.

So, screw Apple I says, and jump over to PC. Adobe is a safe bet for software. Apple might be more interested in toys but Adobe 100% relies on the sales of their software and thus it's a safe buy. Actually I edit in Edius now but the rest of the suite was what I was really interested in. Anyway, I invest in that and shortly after BOOM! CS is gone. There was no benefit to spending a couple grand on it at all. I'm in the same boat now as anyone coming on board a few months after I did.

Now as I say these were significant purchases for me. I expected the software to be updated and with me for the long haul. In my view I got screwed twice in quick succession by 2 mega companies. Software piracy is obviously not a good thing for the industry but I've got say I have zero sympathy for the likes of Apple and Adobe.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]