APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is bootlegging really so bad?
on May 8, 2013 at 8:00:54 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "I agree with this. I bet piracy of FCPX took it on the nose with the drastic price drop."

I have no idea what the piracy nose of FCPX looks like, I only have evidence of Photoshop and Windows because I have read about it in the past.

[Clint Wardlow] "Still the analogy of bootlegging with theft is right on some marks and wrong on others. If companies use ownership to drive prices up and gouge the consumer, where is the ethics in that? That is why we have anti-monopoly and price-fixing laws."

Yes, it is why we have laws. Are you suggesting that Adobe is breaking a law, fixing prices, or gouging? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

No matter how I feel about "the man", I don't think that I can provide an honest, for pay, service using software that I have intentionally cracked. For me, it is not about whether or not I am helping to line the pockets of executives, it's about how I live my life, and how I would want others to treat me if I put a whole lot of work in to something in exchange for money.

I don't know if a major corporation "deserves" to be stolen from, or what level of ethics you are talking about, but I know that, personally, I don't like being robbed. It truly sucks. I don't deserve it.

Stealing software does devalue this business, although I probably can't show you on a hyperlink.

David Lawrence will link you to article about how DRM doesn't work and how DRM only serves to punish they paying user. Guess who I am in that equation?

[Clint Wardlow] "And as to bootlegged software --perhaps I am just being more honest here and perhaps not. Are you guys really saying you have never used a friend's licence to get a software that was expensive (Jeremy at least fessed up)? Are we all really all that pure? Right or wrong I have a feeling more people that will admit have dirty hands in this respect."

Yeah, many years ago, I had a hand me down computer and someone let me use their copy of FCP. Very quickly after seeing it, I bought my own copy. If FCP was available for $20/mo back then, I would have paid for it after I used the free trial for 30 days.

My first copies of Adobe software I owned, I paid the student rate and was allowed to upgrade to a full version after that and I have been upgrading since.

If you are asking if companies should price their products fairly and treat their customers ethically, then yes, they should and should be taken to task if they are not leading ethical practices. I would love to hear any evidence that Adobe is straying from ethical behavior.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]