APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is bootlegging really so bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Clint Wardlow
Is bootlegging really so bad?
on May 8, 2013 at 6:10:07 pm

Confession time. My first copy of Final Cut was a bootlegged copy of 2.0. My first copy of photoshop was a bootleg of 7. However, it was working in these pirated copies (which I was reluctant to try because of cost) that convinced me to bite the bullet and purchase licensed copies during the next cycle (CS and FCP 3).

I have a feeling I am not the only one to use this methodology. A lot of folks think that Adobe's move to the cloud is in part to eliminate this type of piracy (though we are assured the cloud will be cracked a couple of weeks into CC7).

I think FCPX eliminated some of this piracy situation with pricing. However, with Adobe, I'm not sure this methodology is going to work in their favor. I mean is having pirated copies out there really all that bad for the bottom line? The people who use pirated copies (and I am guessing on this) are the folks that couldn't afford or were reluctant to spend for the licensed copy in the first place.

Having pirated copies out there leads to a lot more people getting their hands dirty in certain pricey software and may (as in my case) lead to a paying customer down the road.

Am I wrong on this? Missing the boat completely? Any thoughts?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]