APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 5, 2013 at 1:12:54 pm

Lots of debate on whether FCPX really has a "unique" edge on creation and delivery in the new distribution age so I'll just add directly to Bill's initial post.

At the moment, FCPX biggest failing in the above regard is that, for a company that seems to be touting file based delivery, Compressor is very weak. It has a very poor H.264 codec and extremely limited access to codec tweaks whether .mov or .mp4. It can't create a High Profile CABAC encode at all.

While they've made some improvements to QMaster, it still can't match the simple clustering of multiple machines that Telestream Episode can.

For a company that supports HLS adaptive bit rate, there's no easy way to create the files and playlist in Compressor.

On the other hand, I suspect Apple has some improvements in mind as part of their "10 year plan" for FCPX but admittedly haven't seen any evidence of it yet. The real promise though is abstract in that since Apple was very willing to rethink the NLE, they may have an equally interesting rethink on file delivery. I wouldn't be surprised that FCPX's metadata/database handling will have some role in that. I can't really debate this since it's just my own subjective hunch.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]