APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 5, 2013 at 1:27:33 am

[Oliver Peters] "This is true even at the local level. Many TV stations have very active and profitable websites that feature both repurposed and unique content. They also produce custom web-only content for some of their local clients. I'm freelancing at one station this month and guess what, the same folks produce the web content as do the on-air content. In this case, using Varicams, studio shoots, FCP 7, PPro and After Effects."

I dunno. Personally I don't think I know a single person under 25 that "subscribes" to - or regularly surfs - any local TV station web presence.

I agree the traditional media outlets are trying to leverate modern media. My wife writes and delivers web content for every show segment she appears in and the station religiously posts that content for viewers doing searches. But honestly,it's kind of used as an promotional after fact rather than a creative driver of views.

And that a big budget TV station would use the big budget tools they already have in house to produce their web content is only obvious. In grade school I had a friend who's dad ran a carpentry shop. When we had to build wooden Viking boat models for extra credit in history class his turned up clearly having gone through commercial planers and drill presses and shaping tools. You use what you have access to - and that says nothing about whether someone approaching the same task needs that level of equipment to do a good job.

My wife has a reasonable local fan base after appearing in more than 300 segments over the past seven years on local TV - with very loyal fans who look forward to her broadcast segments. Heck, hardly a week goes by without someone stopping her in our local stores to complement a segment she's done that they've watched. And I don't think I've seen a single interaction with one of those fans who struck me as under 30 and most of them are 40 plus.

Admittedly hers is the "stay at home" daytime largely female crowd that is the core audience for the show she appears on, but still, there are plenty of students and young wives and stay at home moms who are in her show's target demo.

I just doubt they're particularly TV oriented these days.

I actually hope I'm wrong about all this, because having a nice ratinings measured video content distribution system in place makes my whole business life easier - since I produce a good bit of ad related TV and Radio destined content. But I just don't see much growth in the under 30 prime demos around here.

But maybe TV is succeeding in building relationships with young viewers and I just don't see it.

As we say. Time will tell.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]