APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 4, 2013 at 11:11:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "X is different. It suits one-man bands well. It can also suit others equally well with significant workflow rejiggering. That doesn't change with the media outlet involved. The same can be said for Adobe or Avid."

The only point you're making that I'll gently push back on is my firm conviction that the "others" who you imply it does NOT suite well - have needs that are typically pretty "niche" in the overall scheme of video production and delivery in the modern world.

My contention is that for content creation and delivery for about a solid 90% of the video that gets delivered today across all modes and means and deployments - there is absolutely NOTHING about the current X workflow that isn't accommodated by it's current toolset. With absolutely no "re-jiggering" necessary at all.

Most of the aforementioned "re-jiggering" is done by people who have an established workflow that they have decided is is either impossible (some) difficult (more) or uncomfortable (most) to change in order to adopt the toolset built into X successfully.

Just as guys like Chris and Herb regularly challenge me with the contention that everything X can do - other editing software can also do - I keep asking people to give me examples of what X 'cannot" do - that the average professional editor regularly needs to do - which seems to me a more important metric for any package attempting to find a place in a working editors toolbox. The answers so far have been things I don't actually need to do. So I'm OK, I guess.

This does not address that other workflows or other needs aren't important or imply that they're not reason enough to choose a different tool.

Just that I can't understand the constant need to push AWAY from X, when it has it's own unique efficiencies like all the other compeitors.

Is is STILL the "we're angry you messed with our favorite tool" thing? IF so, wow. Grudges about things can run as deep as those about people, I suppose. Something I don't think about very much.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]