APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 4, 2013 at 10:04:12 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Sure, X has a lot more stuff, but these others get the job done just fine, and at a fraction of the cost. And, many if not most of them can stay on their native platform."

Ah, now THIS is intresting.

OS might be a big deal for you or me. But for my son it's inconsequential. He's as happy on Linux as he is on Mac, or iOS, or Windows. Evolution is strong.

Besides, since I've long been around the retail world, I see price as a pretty artificial thing in all senses. Back in the dawn of my working life I produced radio ads for a local stereo shop. There I learned about price targets. To satisfy the most customers, you wanted products in pricing tiers. Perhaps $299, 399, and 499.

There were customers for each. But back then dealing in physical products, one kinda had to differentiate the products either by features or caché. The expensive product, while basically the same, had all the circuitry of it's less expensive cousin, but more holes drilled and more switches and nobs to provide more user options and controls along with perhaps a beefier power supply or amplifier section.

Today, what ARE the differentiators between the zillion lines of code that makes up Premier verses the zillion lines of code that make up FCP-X?

Certainly nothing that impacts price in a realistic sense.

If Apple sells their code in one bucket for $299 and Adobe sells more varied code packages in six buckets for $1200 - what is it that makes one approach more valuable than the other? Theres literally not much tangible difference in the quantity or in the production costs of the deliverable. A bigger production or sales team here - whether or not you're licensing code or paying royalties there - that's about it.

The product is just software. Experessions of ideas about arrangement and interface. Isn't the rest mostly just "perceptions" about the utility of one approach over the other? X does function A fast. Premier does function B better . And I carefully say PERCEPTIONS of utility after significant thought. Because while there's a lot of hue and cry about this feature or workflow or that one - few here would argue that given a hard drive of the same content, either one of us working in our favorite NLE couldn't come up with an EXACT duplicate of a finished program someone told us to re-create.

The whole NLE debate sometimes makes me get flashes of the Microphone debates I occasionally get caught up in as a 30 year professional VO guy and narrator.

The truth is that the Mic is pretty far down the list of important tools I use when I do a VO. Actually not even in the top 5. Yeah, I own a $1000 mic because at the time I bought it, I could easily justify buying a tool that put the "mic quality" issue out of my own mental debate. But when I'm on the road, and a client needs a quick tag for the existing spots? I use other mics and recording processes out of my suitcase and nobody ever notices.

Discovering FCP-X for me has been a little like recording my first national level VO on my Zoom H4n -rather than through the recording chain into ProTools back in my studio.

Simpler and easier and nobody could really detect a difference at the ad agnecy or on the air.

So my thinking for so many years that the ONE "proper" way to do VO work was in a studio with classic tools was ripe for change.

Before I learned X, I had no clue that range based keywording built into my edit interface would transform my whole approach to my work.

But now I value Favorite/Reject +keyword software database access WAY MORE than tracks. It's hands down, no contest. And I didn't know they'd be so damn useful until I had them and could spend a good year developing a system for using them with intent.

Just as in my VO practice where I want to be able to do them as easily from a hotel room in San Diego as in my studio in Scottsdale - the new tools have changed how I operate.

So Chris, the answer is that everyone has to decide on the type of tools that makes them happy. And it's not any ONE thing - it's everything in sum. How features and price and payment model and COMFORT all mix together.

How I feel about it anyway.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]