APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 4, 2013 at 9:31:38 pm

[Bill Davis] "The competitive video world of the net is clearly a place of 1 to 5 minute "information and entertainment blocks" served up on demand. That's what that market wants. And when I need to figure out quickly how to change a tail light on my car, or want to personally hear what a thought leader said yesterday, its a system that satisfies it's audience far better than appointment viewing.

Competitive for what? How many views (and how much money) does a 2 minute tutorial video on replacing a car's head lamp generate? There's a company (can't remember the name off hand) that's one of the 'how to' video kings and they pay something like $100 for each finished video. Great for them, not so great for the people making the videos. The market may want to watch a video of goats laughing to kill a few minutes at work but the market will not pay for it. Charlie Bit my Finger? Hilarious... when its free. Put YT behind a paywall and watch it's numbers crash instantly. Views without monetization is like a store with high foot traffic but barely any sales. Monetization, not popularity, pays the bills.

The bottom line is that I respect the production and post traditions we all grew up in. But the industry (and more, the market!) is evolving fast. And in a garden experiencing fast growth, weeding and re-planting can be as critical as initial plant selection."

Many reports have pegged Netflix as the single largest bandwidth hog in North America at 30% of total internet traffic. YT is at 10%. YT completely dwarfs Hulu when it comes to viewers but Hulu became profitable w/in 2 or 3 years of launch. People watch YT for minutes and other services for hours. YT, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc., are all starting to create original, premium content because viewers and/or advertisers will pay to support it. YT's problem obviously isn't a lack of traffic, it's a lack of traffic that can be monetized and, unlike in b'cast where transmissions are basically a fixed cost, every viewer eats up resources and counts against the bottom line of a streaming service.

In 2005-ish I started working for an established website helping to produce their orignal content and while a some parts of the production pipeline were new I think most things were basically the same compared to the broadcast and cable work I'd done. In 2011 an indie doc I cut called Looking for Lenny (about the comedian Lenny Bruce) got domestic distribution on VOD and streaming and possibly in years past it would've just sat on a shelf gathering dust. I'm certainly aware of the changes taking place but in the end I don't think the landscape will look nearly as different as the internet echo chamber (which I know I'm part of) thinks it will.

I remember back in '99, at the height of Napster, people saying this would be the death of the major labels and artist's would just directly sell to fans online. Well, it's 2013 and the major labels are still around. Sure the field has opened up some but the majors are still the majors and artists are largely still struggling to get their fair share whether it's from CD sales, iTunes downloads or Spotify royalties.

In old Hollywood stars rebelled against their studio contracts and a number of decades later there is similar insurrection in the digital age.

"YouTube Stars Fight Back: Machinima and Maker Studios, two of YouTube's most high-profile networks, have come under fire from their own talent"

http://www.laweekly.com/2013-01-10/news/machinima-maker-studios-YouTube/ful...

Even some people that were on the cutting edge of new media a couple of years ago aren't as enamored with it as they once were. Trent Reznor, who had a famous and bloody fallout with his old label, even concedes that labels do some things right and has partnered with Columbia on his current project.

"Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, and other digital pioneers sour on 'pay what you want' music"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4054634/musics-pay-what-you-want-pioneers-...

The names of the gate keepers and money men might change but they won't disappear because they provide services that both content creators and content consumers need.

Meet the new boss, pretty much the same as the old boss. ;)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]