APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 4, 2013 at 9:13:03 pm

[David Lawrence] "Bill, with all due respect, many of us have been part of this transformed landscape for years. It's really not that new and while FCPX has many interesting and powerful tools, I see no evidence it's better suited for today's general production needs than any of the other modern NLE's. Production workflows will always be dependent on the nature of the production and neither FCPX nor the evolving distribution landscape changes that."

And what makes you think I "haven't" been part of the same landscape you have? If you think I've been sequestered away from the editing transformation up to this point, you're very much mistaken.

I was one of the EARLIEST adopters of FCP-Legacy - cutting on it starting literally two weeks after I saw the demo of it at NAB 1999. I built my entire video business on it's very capable shoulders. I also spent the entire decade from 2000 to 2010 writing about NLE operations as a contributing editor at a national video magazine. So it's hard to argue that I'm ignorant of the history of NLE development.

In fact it's THAT perspective that makes X seem so fresh and potentially transformative to me.

While many of my fellow editors of the early part of this century were stuck in CMX, or ADO, or later, AVID-land who were eventually forcefully dragged into accepting a "amateur DV oriented tool" like FCP-Legacy as it evolved - I embraced the possibilities pretty darn early.

I also, thankfully, was was constantly using other tools like Filemaker Pro in parallel, learning asset organization fundamentals to leverage what I couldn't accomplish as easily inside my NLE.

Having a system in front of me today that combines elements of both database and content editor pretty seamlessly is part of the fun now of being an X editor.

I do see the X appraoch as transformative since with it, Apple was willing to cut loose many of the "everyone will want to edit like film and TV pros have for decades" conventions that were being followed in a relatively lock-step fashion.

You clearly think I've got a shortsighted view. I suspect you might in a few areas as well.

And I suppose it's very likely that we're both more or less correct! ; )

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]