APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Post NAB piece on the struggles of the big broadcast players in the modern era.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Post NAB piece on the struggles of the big broadcast players in the modern era.
on May 4, 2013 at 7:42:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Apple bet is that there are more people who want a smaller set of newer tools, than who need to remain compatible with historical broadcast and movie workflows. "

I would take that a step further and say that Apple bets there is a large and growing group of people that edit as part of the job but their job is not to be an editor. Accessibility is more important when the user isn't spending day in and day out on the software and I think that was a major factor in the rethinking of FCP.

As far as web-centric uses goes, I think FCP X having a leg up depends on the situation. I've spent a number of years working primarily with web/digital content for large companies like Viacom, AT&T, Sony, Microsoft, etc., and web-ready files rarely ever came out of our NLE's. We'd generate high quality exports and hand those off to either our in-house compression team or directly to the client who would then have their own team. We cut on FCP legend and I don't think using X would've made a difference when it came to delivering our final cuts. As an aside, they are still using FCP 7 over there and are leaning towards Pr as that would most seamlessly drop into the existing workflows (a dozen producers and editors are working on overlapping projects year round so change is always deliberate and methodical). I think the updates in CS Next might finally get them to pull the trigger and switch.

On the flip side I was an assistant editor on an indie doc ***shameless plug*** called American Winter about the crumbling middle class in the US which you can catch on HBO/HBO GO ***shameless plug*** cut on FCP Legend where we used Vimeo to share cuts and having a direct Share to Vimeo feature would've made my life easier.

As you and Dennis have said, time will tell in the end but the different approaches are interesting. Apple seemed to jump feet first into new workflows and then spent a lot of time 'adding back' features that didn't make the initial jump while Adobe and Avid have been adding new workflow features at a steady pace and are easing into the future rather than jumping into it.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]