APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Honestly NOT trying to trash broadcast TV... just reporting what I see on my newsfeeds these days...
on May 4, 2013 at 7:12:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But in your own example - the method of prod and post - that which pays the bills for most in this forum - didn't change."

Nobody here is arguing that there will suddenly be NO value to quality produced content. Thats just silly.

What we're arguing is whether or not toolsets (like the one directly mentioned in this Forum's header!) have a strong future inside this changing industry.

WHere the change is happening most is not the important thing. It's that the change is transformative - rather than just adaptive, IMO.

I've written here many times, that even back during the big hoopla in the first months about X, I was less focused on things like the magnetic timeline - and MUCH more focused on interface element such as the Project Library and things like the Share menu's direct link to on-line deployment options.

Those seem to me to be the philosophical shifts that Apple has made. They see a future of content that needs to be made more rapidly, with automation wherever possible to let the user get better results more quickly in an environment where the time it takes to perfect is sometimes not time particularly well spent.

The while point of YouTube is that it's NOT a world of 30 and 60 minute program blocks that all will have value in re-runs of those same 30-60 minute blocks - all purpose built with holes for commercials. THATs what professional TV production has been building towards for 30 years. But when I pay for content via iTunes, what do I get? Content built for the old model that has jump cuts that reveal the "arc-gaps" in the stories that were designed to keep people watching through commercial breaks that aren't even THERE anymore.

The competitive video world of the net is clearly a place of 1 to 5 minute "information and entertainment blocks" served up on demand. That's what that market wants. And when I need to figure out quickly how to change a tail light on my car, or want to personally hear what a thought leader said yesterday, its a system that satisfies it's audience far better than appointment viewing.

And it seems to me the more I use it, X is a pretty IDEAL tool for creating and deploying that type of modern and agilily-consumable media.

The odd thing is that when I go to create or edit one of my vaulted long form programs - the tools in X make THAT easier to handle as well!

I originally imagined that X would be a tool similar to what I'd had in the past - just newer, maybe faster, and perhaps better able to preserve the quality my better cameras could generate more easily.

I did NOT expect to be led into an entirely transformed video landscape by X. But that's kinda exactly what happened.

The bottom line is that I respect the production and post traditions we all grew up in. But the industry (and more, the market!) is evolving fast. And in a garden experiencing fast growth, weeding and re-planting can be as critical as initial plant selection.

We can go with different variations of the old roses - or we can try new plant types entirely.

Up to us.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]