APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What will Apple do with the Macintosh?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: What will Apple do with the Macintosh?
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:20:19 pm

I had heard about that and the first rumors I heard were some time back which is why I brought up the theoretical clustering a long while back.

I am curious about what functions will be clusterable. Right now you can cluster across machines for encodes in Compressor of course. I can't help but think down the road one would cluster on import for optimized and proxy media and also internal FX rendering functions (and wouldn't it be great if GPUs could be clustered as well).

Personally I think this is where things will be heading. It would be nifty if they can get there by the time 100gbps Thunderbolt becomes available.

I also think as part of Apple's MacPro rethink, they're going to be banking on people buying new MacPros as Thunderbolt technology progresses. Again this is Apple's move to "commoditization." I've mentioned that before as well. Apple wants us to upgrade our computers more frequently. Buying a MacPro and holding on to it as a "lead" computer for 4 years or more doesn't make them as much money as buying an upgrade every two years like an iPhone.

This is why I've said it's not that Apple has become a "consumer" company, it's that they've learned how to make a commodity that one buys and replaces frequently. The older versions don't get retired though (not for some time at least) and as they stay in circulation, Apple increases its market share. They also increase sales by more frequent replacement.

As much as some of us "power" users (MacPro buyers) keep upgrading components (as I did with my 2008 MacPro GPU and, now, can do so again) some things will require a new purchase. That would be for changes in Thunderbolt technology on the motherboard. As a tangent, it's why I think Apple may have one motherboard socketed GPU on the new MacPros.

Basically I think the reengineering of the MacPro will result in wider sales and more frequent replacement. Of course it'll still be relatively niche but the niche might be a bit bigger and ROI for Apple will be greater than the current MacPro... which some of us have kept going with 2006-2008 models.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]