APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:26:21 am

[Walter Soyka] "When I was evaluating DS, everyone I talked to mentioned Boris -- but maybe that was just because they were finishing Media Composer shows. "

A lot of folks finishing Avid-offlined shows need to have compatible BCC filters. That's because BCC has been bundled with MC for years, so the offline editors use these filters. Especially in reality shows. Currently MC is no longer bundled with BCC - only Symphony is. However, both are bundled with AvidFX (OEM version of Boris RED), which includes many of the BCC and FEC filters.

[Walter Soyka] "Sidebar: how do you see most folks handling color? Built-in effects? "Traditional" grading plugins like Colorista or Baselight? Looks plugins? Ignoring color completely and hoping for the best?"

Plug-ins. Most editors I see are uncomfortable dealing with most of the available color correction tools. 3-way and eyedroppers is about the most that many editors will tackle. Why do you think MB Looks became so popular ;-)

[Walter Soyka] "We've been thinking about the price of plugins as related to the price of the host app; in strict economic terms, I think the price of plugins is related to the cost of development and the sales potential on a given host. "

The truth is one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, if you paid less for the host, you have MORE left over to buy really good plug-ins. Unfortunately most don't think of it this way.

[Walter Soyka] "but with only a tiny proportion of users interested in something like Sapphire, maybe dropping the price won't actually increase sales?"

I think they are trying to approach this dilemma through Sapphire Edge. Low cost of entry and then a subscription for the monthly collections (updated presets libraries).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]