APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:12:35 am

[Oliver Peters] "Actually not. These are used extensively by Media Composer editors among other."

When I was evaluating DS, everyone I talked to mentioned Boris -- but maybe that was just because they were finishing Media Composer shows. Smoke seems to have a strong historical reliance on Sapphire sparks, but Autodesk added a lot of first-party capability by integrating Flame FX to Smoke 2012.

[Oliver Peters] "Lots of potential with probably zero buyers. I don't hold a lot of stock in vast numbers of Resolve users. The only editors I know (not counting DITs) who have touched Resolve are those who already understood grading apps like Color. That's a small subset of all working editors."

Sidebar: how do you see most folks handling color? Built-in effects? "Traditional" grading plugins like Colorista or Baselight? Looks plugins? Ignoring color completely and hoping for the best?

[Oliver Peters] "These plug-ins have historically been tiered to the cost of the host. Sapphire was more for Flame or Pablo than Media Composer or After Effects. Now you've got a much lower priced host and those owners won't pay the Sparks prices that Flame owners had."

I think this is the problem. We've been thinking about the price of plugins as related to the price of the host app; in strict economic terms, I think the price of plugins is related to the cost of development and the sales potential on a given host.

These always used to line up. Flame is a small and demanding market, with a need for a package like Sapphire and the ability and willingness to pay for it. Now I don't think they line up anymore. FCPX may be a very large market in terms of seats, but with only a tiny proportion of users interested in something like Sapphire, maybe dropping the price won't actually increase sales?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]