APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:49:01 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But that gets us back to the core argument. Namely, have the business models of Apple and Adobe both, killed incentive to do new, high-quality custom effects?"

Looking at the examples listed, what I see are largely high-end, expensive plugins (which I happen to rather like and have come to rely on) faring poorly in mid-tier and low-end markets which are probably significantly more price sensitive.

Effects sets like BCC and Sapphire may be staples on big finishing systems like Smoke or DS, or may be commonly used via OFX on other big-ticket systems like Nuke, Fusion, SCRATCH, or Mistika. Even given some moderate success with finishing-oriented FCP/Ae solutions, why should we assume that will translate to huge successes on even smaller/cheaper systems?

With Resolve Lite 10 being free, the number of seats of OFX-capable software will skyrocket, but how many of those new users are really potential customers for BorisFX or GenArts?

I'm not convinced this is a case where a rising tide lifts all boats. I think that some of the effects we're discussing are simply niche products, and that niche is not growing nearly as fast as the market as a whole.

Maybe they're just being disrupted by more broadly-targeted, broadly-priced tools? There seem to be no shortage of new effects from other developers.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]