APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 6:24:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "The same plugins that exist for 7, X, and Premiere seem to be much better in their X implementation in my experience."

This has not been may experience with FxFactory Pro, Sapphire Edge, Magic Bullet Looks, BCC, Tiffen Dfx, Filmstocks, etc.

There is no plug-in API for FCP X, so effects cannot be properly optimized for X the way they can be for other hosts. They all have to be built to FxPlug in Motion and then "published" as Motion templates. This adds a layer of overhead that is not otherwise there in other plug-ins. There cannot be sophisticated UIs without venturing into on-screen controls in the viewer.

Specifics that I run into are the poor response of screen updates when sliders are adjusted, slow renders, etc. Complex filters that do multiple tasks, like DV Shade, perform noticeably worse than filters with only one task, like a blur. As a contrast, I can apply a Sapphire effect in Premiere Pro and it runs in real-time at 1/2 res. The same filter, using Sapphire Edge chokes in X set to "better performance".

I have not had a single developer tell me that they have an easier time developing for X than the others. In fact, exactly the opposite. They are only in it, hoping for the numbers.

There is an argument to be made that the nature of Motion templates is better - assuming you stick to Motion's native effects - than the older methods. To some extent this is true. Many of X's effects create very unique and high-quality looks. Some of the transitions would be nearly impossible in other NLEs. But that gets us back to the core argument. Namely, have the business models of Apple and Adobe both, killed incentive to do new, high-quality custom effects?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]