APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Intel announce new thunderbolt (for the new Mac Pro?)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Intel announce new thunderbolt (for the new Mac Pro?)
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:37:58 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I winder if there's ANY alternatives to Xeon's that would deliver comparable performance- considering how much of the work gets done on GPUs now."

There were the rumors that Apple would move the Mac platform over to ARM. And there's always the POWER architecture...

I am a big proponent of GPGPU technologies, but I think it's important we not overstate how much processing happens on the GPU. We are still a long way off on the software side from a stack of GPUs matching the performance of a dual-CPU Xeon.

[Marcus Moore] "It's obviously a detriment that Xeon's seem to have this 1-2 year lag on improvements. "

What improvements are these? Are you referring only to Thunderbolt, or to something else as well?

[Marcus Moore] "But I'd agree that based on what Intel announced today, the first iteration of whatever this new MacPro turns out to be is unlikely to ship with the nee 20GB/s version of TB."

Agreed that this is unlikely -- but the next version of Thunderbolt does look like a nice step up!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]