APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, Apple quite prominently promoted its G5 as the fastest computer and was very instrumental in promoting the use of multiple Xserves in computing clusters. "

I've mentioned Apple promoting the G5 as the fastest personal computer on Earth a couple of times already. "Personal" being the key word but even with that stipulation I still think they ran afoul of consumer protection laws in Europe and had to pull the ads.

By big iron I was thinking more along the lines of SGI's Octane boxes or propriety/custom hardware in high end rigs. Basically systems that couldn't be bought off-the-shelf. Apple's various 'desktop revolutions' (publishing, music production, DVD authoring, editing, color correction, etc.,) helped cut off big iron products at the knees by showing that desktops can now provide 'good enough' performance for a fraction of the price.

[Michael Phillips] "And don't forget the ad where it was illegal to export a Mac as it was too fast according to national security standards or something to that effect."

I don't remember that but I do remember when the PS2 when came out it had to get a special import/export exemption as, at the time, it qualified as military grade tech.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]