APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and databases

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Apple and databases
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:13:14 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "walter - given it kind of visibly resembles a fair bit of AE project structure, so from what you've dug into - is it stupid to think PPro is sharing some of the same project management architecture as AE? import project into project - pretty bad re-linking, bar on multiple projects and that?"

My guess? I don't think they share a project management implementation.

AEP files are binary; even Ae's XML exports are nearly entirely binary blobs wrapped in XML tags. (Sidebar: this makes them totally useless for automation -- good thing Ae has scripting, which is a much safer way of automating project changes than actually futzing with the project file itself as I have been doing!)

In my experience, AEPs are quite a bit less fragile from a re-linking standpoint than .prprojs, and goodness knows that an Ae-style Consolidate footage command [link] would go a long, long way in Premiere Pro.

I think the visible operational similarities are intentional design choices meant to unify the feel of the applications, and are not indicative of an actual common architecture.

That said, I do think that from a conceptual standpoint, they probably approach project management similarly, so if that's what you mean by "project management architecture" then I am inclined to agree.

I'll go a step further and suggest that FCP7 is in the same family. I think that Premiere Pro is two big tweaks away from an FCP7 level of project management: better understanding of "master clips" (thereby avoiding duplication) and improved re-linking. Of course, whether an FCP7-level of project management is a good goal or not is an open question.

But all this is only speculation. As always, I could be absolutely wrong.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]