APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and databases

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: Apple and databases
on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:33:33 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I'm interested in how you make the connection from "Core Data syncing is potentially unscalable and ultimately unfixable" ... to the magnetic timeline?"

The connection is here:
"Some issues with iCloud Core Data are theoretically unsolvable (stemming from the fact that you’ve put an object model on top of a distributed data store) and others are just plain bugs in the implementation..."
"Because of this there is a lot of fragility to the implementation, and I’m not sure it will ever scale well to larger data sets..."
It's not about Core Data syncing, the problem may be a fundamentally broken design. If true, this is a very big deal. They'll have to start from scratch.

I believe the same is true with the magnetic timeline's hierarchical, single primary, parent/child, relative time model. I don't think it will scale. Without absolute, external time, I don't see how it can ever really support parallel, independent media streams such as multi-channel audio in a DAW. I don't think roles will ever be enough. I believe the absolute, external time frame of reference is essential.

Like "an object model on top of a distributed data store", the magnetic timeline may turn out to be wrong model for a truly universal time-based editing system.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]