APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rick Lang
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:41:41 pm

Chris, I can remember reading that when the optical Thunderbolt cables are introduced the difference is only in the cables. In other words the copper and the optical cables can both be plugged into the same Thunderbolt ports. Now reading it and believing it aren't quite the same but if Apple does manage to introduce Xeon with Thunderbolt "later in 2013" via the updated Mac Pro, then I'm hopeful it will accept both copper and optical cables. It may be that the new machines use optical but not at 100Gbps. When will it reach 100Gbps is a great question If only I was qualified as an engineer like some of those incredibly knowledgeable "heavyweights" who post here!

But speaking from the sidelines, if Apple has decided to make a splash with the updated Mac Pro (rather than the merely incremental step up from the existing Mac Pros and high-end iMacs), then there is bound to be an attention-grabbing feature in there that sets the direction for their future development. I think, alone it appears in this discussion, that a Thunderbolt revision will be one of those features that is a jump up, not a step up. So who says Apple wants to make a splash? I am sure they are equally aware of the attention that the HP Z8xx and ProMax computers are getting among the creative community. It seems to most people that Apple did abandon the advancement of the Mac Pro and perhaps this was due in part to the focus on the iPhone and the iPad which has certainly proven justified from a business perspective. But Apple is a big company and there are no doubt those who were pulled from their normal workstation and desktop roles to focus on the mobile devices who have now been allowed to resume their normal programming. They'll want to make splash and finally Tim Cook made that historic pronouncement in that e-mail (to a Creative Cow member I think) to wait until "later in 2013."

So the hungry workstation crew has been hard at work to make good on Tim's word. More than the iPhones and iPads that are now being developed without input from Steve Jobs, the next workstation will belong to Tim's legacy. I don't care if Tim's background is only in the production chain, he is a tough cookie to negotiate with and you aren't likely to win any concessions from him if you say you can't fulfill his promise to the creatives. It will be a matter of personal satisfaction to him to see this product shaken up on his watch. When the full vision materialize in 2013? Perhaps not for another year or two, but the new foundation will be there this year, the direction set for the next five to ten years of Apple workstations. I just think Thunderbolt will be important, but there will be more to it than that.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]